Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This Kid....

 
 I know this is suppose to be a blog about Hawaii and yada yada yada but I felt like I needed to do a little post on this kid... Elder Jason Layne Harper! You all might not know him but I know several of you DO know and love him! Also a select few of you will be seeing his cute face in 9 weeks! It's kind of fun to say 9 weeks 9 weeks 9 9 9 9 9 9  WEEKS!!! haha sorry I am done! He has been working SO hard the past couple of months as AP and I am so proud of him. He really does help me want to be a better person and become closer to our father in heaven by his example. I have been so blessed to have had the opportunity to write him for the past 22 months and learn from his experiences he has had while being in the mission field. He wrote to the elders of his mission this week and I got a chance to read what he wrote. It was a conformation to me that he has grown so much and is truly a new man. Here are a couple of things he wrote....


Dear fellow missionaries,
     At zone conference we spoke of some of the things we can change as a mission, a companionship, or individually. We have been asked to listen to better music, have dignified speech, and follow the morning schedule. For others it may be working on your planner or on just small and simple things, like planning or study. We all have things to work on and God knows that, he doesn't expect us to be perfect, but to try.
     As missionaries we have a challenging job, but the Lord knows our weaknesses and is willing to help us turn them into strengths. "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27). We can all change and become strong because of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know we can become spiritual beings because of his grace. But the act of faith and repentance takes effort.  

     If we are willing to do everything in our power to accomplish the task at hand, the Lord will make up the difference. Bruce C. Hafen said "We can have eternal life if we want it, but only if there is nothing else we want more." and "If we must give all that we have, then our giving only almost everything is not enough. If we almost keep the commandments, we almost receive the blessings." We have to look to the Lord for our blessings, make the sacrifice, and receive the blessing with humility.
 
    "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying  and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God" (Helaman 3:35).
     I know as we wax stronger and stronger in our humility and become more reliant upon the Savior instead of our own knowledge or understanding, we will be purified and sanctified. We will become more spiritual and Christlike as we are willing to put everything on the altar. God will recognize our obedience and sacrifice and pour out blessings upon us that he has in store. I testify as we submit to the will of the Father and humble ourselves, he will mold us and shape us into what we need to be to be able work miracles. May we all continue to repent each day and watch the blessings continue to increase.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen
Elder Harper

I know most of you probably don't really care about this post, but for me it means the world to see my best friend having so much success and growing more than I could have ever imagined. SOO here is to you Jase and to the last 9 weeks! 

4 comments:

  1. Man, he's a good kid! That's so exciting... 9 weeks! This is seriously crazy everyone is coming home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHhhh he is SO cute! BLLLAAAHHHHAA!! It's bitter sweet that he is coming home! Cris is no longer "one of the kids"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cristine!! I can't wait for you. This post made me miss Johnny. I can't wait till I can say 9 weeks!! I love your blog keep it up! Mahalo for being so great!

    ReplyDelete